Return to Home page
A Tale of Two Cities
1. What conditions prevail in England and France in 1775?
2. How does this first chapter relate to the title of the novel?
3. How are Fate and Death personified?
4. How does Dickens create an atmosphere of mystery and danger?
5. Describe Jerry Cruncher's reaction to Mr. Lorry's message.
6. How is Jarvis Lorry characterized?
7. How does Mr. Lorry tell Miss Manette about her father?
8. How is Miss Manette characterized?
9. What is the meaning of "recalled to life"?
10. What is the significance of the broken wine-cask episode?
11. Describe Madame Defarge.
12. Why does Monsieur Defarge show Dr. Manette to selected visitors?
13. What have eighteen years in prison done to Dr. Manette?
14. Why does Lucie try to make her father weep?
15. Why is Jarvis Lorry a perfect representative of Tellson's Bank of London?
16. Why is it ironic that Jerry Cruncher works for Tellson's?
17. Describe Charles Darnay.
18. What is the atmosphere of the court?
19. Name the first two witnesses against Charles Darnay. How are they presented? 20. Why is Darnay acquitted?
21. Explain Dr. Manette's reaction to Charles Darnay after the trial.
22. Describe Sydney Carton.
23. How is the Manette household described?
24. What events disturb the peaceful household?
25. What is the significance of the scene with the Monseigneur and his hot chocolate? 26. How does the Marquis react to the death of the child?
27. Why is it significant that the Marquis is steeped in crimson by the
28. Why is the Marquis upset by what the road mender has seen?
29. Who is Monsieur Charles?
30. How does Darnay's philosophy differ from his uncle's?
31. How is the murder of the Marquis foreshadowed? What hints are given as to the identity of the murderer?
32. What is Dr. Manette's reaction to Darnay's request to court Lucie?
33. Why doesn't Dr. Manette want to know Darnay's true identity?
34. What does Sydney Carton reveal about himself in his visit to Lucie?
35. Who is Roger Cly? Why is his death important?
36. Why is the crowd so hostile toward the funeral procession?
37. Why does Jerry Cruncher stop to see the physician after the funeral?
38. Why does Jerry object to his wife's "flopping"?
39. How successful is Jerry Cruncher's "fishing trip"?
40. What does the road mender tell Monsieur Defarge?
41. What effect does the story have on Defarge and the others?
42. What decision is made after the revolutionaries hear the road mender's story?
43. What is the significance of Madame Defarge's knitting?
44. Who is John Barsard? Why does Madame Defarge enter his name on her
45. Contrast Monsieur Defarge's attitude toward the revolution with that of his wife.
46. How does Monsieur Defarge react to the news that Lucie Manette and Charles Darnay are getting married?
47. Describe the conversation between Lucie and her father the night before her wedding?
48. Why is Dr. Manette troubled after his conversation with Charles Darnay? How does he show that he is troubled?
49. How long does Dr. Manette's relapse last?
50. Why is it important to Dr. Manette that he keep his bench and tools?
51. How does Mr. Lorry convince Dr. Manette to give up his bench?
52. How do Mr. Lorry and Miss Pross get rid of Dr. Manette's bench and tools?
53. What does Sydney Carton ask Darnay?
54. What do the echoes and footsteps foreshadow?
55. Why does Monsieur Defarge ask for 105 North Tower?
56. What does the fire symbolize?
57. What is the Loadstone Rock?
58. Why does Darnay feel he must go to Paris? What does he think will happen there?
59. What is ironic about Darnay's arrest?
60. Why does Dr. Manette think he can save Charles Darnay?
61. How does Madame Defarge react when she meets Lucie Darnay?
62. Why do Monsieur and Madame Defarge visit Lucie Darnay? Of what importance is little Lucie to Madame Defarge?
63. How has Darnay's imprisonment been good for Dr. Manette?
64. What is the Carmagnole?
65. Describe the atmosphere at Charles Darnay's trial.
66. Why is Darnay arrested again?
67. Why does Miss Pross scream at the wine-shop?
68. How does Sydney Carton persuade John Barsard to help him rescue Charles Darnay?
69. What important information does Jerry Cruncher have about Roger Cly?
70. What does Carton purchase at the chemist's shop?
71. What does Carton recall as he walks at night?
72. Who is the third citizen to denounce Darnay?
73. What is the meaning of the words "A life you love"?
74. Why does Carton go to the wine-shop?
75. Why is Madame Defarge intent on getting revenge?
76. How does Carton save Charles Darnay?
77. Why does Carton drug Darnay?
78. Describe Lucie's state of mind as they leave Paris.
79. What do Miss Pross and Madame Defarge symbolize?
80. Why does Sydney Carton appear sublime and prophetic?